Electric Vehicle Systems / Powertrains Designer, Prototype Vehicles
At KOVATERA we’re forging a new kind of mining utility vehicle company by combining advanced electric drivetrains and integrated electronics with our rugged KOVATERA vehicles to create the future of mining utility transportation. Our vision is to deliver advanced electric vehicles that enhance the daily operations of our users, eliminating the use of diesel fuel underground through the integration of clean technology. From our headquarters in Sudbury Ontario, we have designed and manufactured over 500 vehicles in our 4 main product lines.
We are seeking an Electric Vehicle Systems / Powertrain Designer to support development and production of our electric vehicles. As a member of the Engineering team, you will be responsible for or oversee the design of a broad range of electrical subsystems and equipment in our battery powered vehicles including: power electronics, electric propulsion, battery management, charger, multiplex controls, high voltage and low voltage harnesses, and software integration. Your professional expertise and strong technical skillset will ensure the design is controlled and conveyed in an orderly manner. Working within our R&D team, you will have a demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of the organizational team.
The Electric Vehicle Systems / Powertrain Designer will specialize in EV Battery Systems, EV Motor Controls, and EV Power Electronics, and is responsible for the electrical / digital design and its integration into advanced prototype R&D vehicles. Extensive work with various suppliers and vendors will be required to understand their specifications and capabilities. You will work with our product managers to define new design requirements. Engineering principles will be applied to design, package and validate EV energy storage systems and components that set the industry benchmark for innovation, performance, cost, reliability and safety for electric mining vehicles. Ideally, you will also have the ability to create systems level powertrain models for diesel equipment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform as a key resource to the R&D team to develop and refine our EV products and services
- Lead the ongoing electric drivetrain system component evaluation, selection and packaging for advanced battery electric vehicles
- Development of Functional Specifications, systems analysis, modeling, simulation and implementation
- Develop, package, verify, and validate electrical components and systems used in EV energy storage systems and drive systems as part of a cross-functional team
- Work on a modular software and component architecture that can be used across our family of EV vehicles
- Create multiplex programming to control the drivetrain and all vehicle body functions
- Integrate subsystems (mechanical, electrical, controls, software, etc.) and components into a fully functional system
- Manage 3rd party outside services and maintain vendor relationships with EV component suppliers
- Drive compliance and certiﬁcation eﬀorts
Required Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in systems engineering, electrical or mechanical with a focus on control systems development, or an equivalent combination of technical degree and experience
- An advanced degree is preferred
- Working knowledge of EV or HEV powertrains and familiarity with electrical, mechanical, and systems-level design is required
- Model-based controls development with rapid prototyping tools such as MATLAB / Simulink / Simscape is required
- Experience with thermal management for electrical & mechanical circuits, computer components and batteries is desired
- Experience with or knowledge of CAN bus protocol and associated tools like PCAN, CANalyzer is desired
- Programming skills, knowledge of vehicle multiplex programming; PLC or C experience programming experience is desired
- Familiarity with related electrical safety and industry standards, and experience with medium/high voltage is desired
- Experience with a wide range of electromechanical background in the automotive or mechatronic industry is desirable
Skills and Attributes:
- Strong work ethic, highly motivated, with a positive energy and attitude
- Ability to “wear many hats” - as a small and fast-growing company, KOVATERA needs people with a broad range of skills
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to facilitate meetings
- Strong problem solving, analytical and listening skills
- Working experience in troubleshooting and debugging control systems on vehicles or powertrains is a plus
- This is a hands-on position with plenty of responsibility for the successful delivery of leading edge energy storage and powertrain solutions in the mining industry. The environment is fast-paced and requires the application of critical thinking in demanding situations
- Must be willing and able to travel up to once a month
KOVATERA offers employees competitive wages, benefits, and a pension package, salary commensurate with experience.
- A combination of office and shop environments.
- Job Type: Full-time, Day shift (7:00am - 3:30pm, 5 x 8hr days)
- Relocation assistance is negotiable, if required
- Potential may exist for some telecommuting, or working from a remote location
We thank all applicants in advance for their application and interest in Industrial Fabrication Inc., however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- English (Preferred)
- French (Preferred)